Perioperative Nurses are responsible for documenting every item used in surgery.
The problem is that traditional systems and tools, such as barcode scanners, regularly let them down. For so many reasons:
- Multiple barcodes on packaging make it hard to identify the one they need.
- Data gaps after scanning may require the manual keying in of data such as batch number and expiry date.
- Small consumables don’t contain barcodes or tags, so items such as bolts and screws often require data entry and are at risk of being left unrecorded.
- Reliance on the Item Master, which is hard to keep up to date, mean that many items can’t be paired, and therefore can’t be identified or recorded.
- Workarounds and manual data entry add time and frustration to the task, keeping nurses away from direct patient care.
- Many items by-pass enrollment and are delivered direct to surgery, such as trunk stock or bill-only items. These are not on the hospital system and cannot be quickly processed.
Barcode scanning is simply inefficient in the complex OR and procedure room environment.
Luckily new surgical documentation technology is proving to be a gamechanger.
Snap&Go uses patented image-recognition, AI and machine learning technology to revolutionize the entire process, adding automation and ease of use.
Nurse involvement in supply chain administration at the point of care is minimal using computer vision.
Let’s review the 3-step process to record the products used in surgery, when Snap & Go is used:
1. DATA CAPTURE: This is now a 3 second task.
The nurse places each product under the sensor, and computer vision technology ‘reads’ the full packet, obtaining all the item data that’s required. Full UDI data is stored, including tricky data such as batch number and expiry, which commonly need to be manually keyed-in.
2. ITEM IDENTIFICATION: This is now an automated process.
AI technology, machine learning, plus a global product database, all free healthcare organizations from dependence on their Item Master for product identification. With Snap & Go the system taps into the global database to identify each item. If, on the rare occasion, a match can’t be found, our back-office team will handle it all and then load the product onto the system for you.
3. USAGE DOCUMENTATION: This is now an automated process.
Snap&Go’s managing software seamlessly shares OR data with the hospital’s EMR, ERP and MMIS.
Prompt, accurate OR data drives through so many operational and administrative processes.
When surgical documentation is made quick and easy, a hospital or ambulatory surgery center can streamline its inventory management, reduce costs, optimize revenue make accurate predictions and data-driven management decisions.
OR product usage data is business data.
Surgical documentation is a vital element of healthcare efficiency.
Imager recognition and AI technology are proving to be a gamechanger, giving manager full visibility of OR and vital data that supports better decisions.
See our video short on how Snap &Go simplifies surgical implant documentation.
If you want to improve the speed and efficiency of usage documentation at the point of care, let’s talk!
You can check out the product page here.